New Topic   New Reply
Search for:
usamerc usamerc's personal page
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile Send private message

MS Frontpage 2003 Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
First Post Posted on: 11-13-09 04:38 PM next post first post
I recently bought the MS Frontpage 2003. I took an online internet training that they have in the home page. My question is how to make change to my web site with MS Frontpage 2003.\ I used the Remote Web Site Properties to transfer the files from the remote web site to my local web site. The system transfered the following folders: Auctions, Cgi-Bin, Classifieds, Dirs, Entropybanner, Images and Scgi-bin. Also tranfered the file index.shtml.\ \ When I try to open the index.shtml the only information that appear in the page is this: ( !--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi"--> )\ \ \ Please Hep\ \ Thank You
chadw_genx chadw_genx's personal page
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Try this.. Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 1 Posted on: 11-13-09 08:32 PM next post previous post

Edit your .shtml code to read:

<!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi"-->

instead of

( !--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi"--> )

It's important that the alligator brackets be used and be careful with frontpage, it has a tendency to replace tag opening and closing brackets with &lt; and &gt; respectively.

Registered Member
Member Offline

Reply #: 2 Posted on: 11-13-09 09:45 PM next post previous post
Thank You for your response.\ \ I edited the .shtml code to . but it doesn't work.
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Reply #: 3 Posted on: 11-13-09 09:59 PM next post previous post

usamerc's Wrote:
 Thank You for your response. I edited the .shtml code to . but it doesn't work.
 What's the tree structure of your directories/files?  If you're pointing your browser to the right .shtml file, what error message are you getting?
Registered Member
Member Offline

Reply #: 4 Posted on: 11-13-09 11:03 PM next post previous post
These are the folder that was transfered from my Remote web site.\ \ Auctions\ Cgi-Bin\ Classifieds\ Dirs\ Entropybanner\ Images\ Scgi-bin\ index.shtml\ \ When I double click on the index.shtml only appear this code:\ !--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi"-->\ and when I go to preview the page appear in blank.
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Reply #: 5 Posted on: 11-13-09 11:51 PM next post previous post

usamerc's Wrote:
  !--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi"-->

First, make sure that your index.shtml file reads <!--#exec cgi="cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi"--> and that what you typed in your post was just a typo, ie. you're missing the opening alligator bracket:  <

Secondly, you really need to make sure that you uploaded your files in ASCII mode as opposed to Binary.  I would upload the files using an FTP Program (instead of using Frontpage), and make sure you upload everything in ASCII and then just go back and reupload your image files in Binary form.  There should be an option for ASCII or Binary mode in one of your top nav. menus of your FTP Program, just look for it.

Third:  Do this ONLY if the first two don't fix your problem:  rename all your files with the .cgi file extension to .pl  as your hosting server may not support the execution of .cgi files. 

Hope this helps!

As a final note:  make sure your *.cgi files are pointing to the correct Perl path.  My servers for example use this path - #!/usr/bin/perl and your code should reflect whatever your path may be at the top of all your *.cgi files.  Check with your hosting provider's admin. or tech. support department to make sure it has the right path.

Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Forgot to mention one thing.. Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 6 Posted on: 11-14-09 12:04 AM next post previous post

After step two, also make sure that your file permissions are set to 755.  You can do this within the FTP program, you're using by right clicking the file and selecting "Change file permissions or chmod or something to that extent."  If your files aren't set to 755, then you'll run into problems with trying to execute them, etc. 

Registered Member
Member Offline

Reply #: 7 Posted on: 11-14-09 09:57 AM next post previous post

Really I am new with this matter. Maybe it is some confussion. My Web site right now is working perfectly from my hosting provider . The question is: That I need to make some change to my page like change color, add graphic, move colum Etc. I would like to do this with Front Page 2003. What are the step from the biggining that I have to follow. Thank You for your patience and help.

Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

HTML Knowledge is a must.. Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 8 Posted on: 11-14-09 10:10 AM next post previous post

Hello,

You're going to want a solid understanding of html and css before you start designing your site.  Even with a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) html editor such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver, you're going to need to know html.  I recommend either purchasing a book on html and css (cascading style sheets) or simply read tutorials on the web.  Google html css tutorials and there are tons of sites with examples of code and tutorials to get you ready to design.  It's not that hard once you have the knowledge, but you've got to have the drive to want the knowledge, which you're demonstrating now.. so just take another step and good luck! big grin

Registered Member
Member Offline

Re: MS Frontpage 2003 Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 9 Posted on: 11-14-09 10:42 AM next post previous post

Hello D

I have taken some course from the internet and have a little knowledge of HTML and CSS, no too much.
I only need to know how to use Front Page 2003 to edite my pages. Where can I find those files. How to import those files from my Web Site Hosting Provider. Thank You again

Registered Member
Member Offline

Re: MS Frontpage 2003 Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 10 Posted on: 11-14-09 10:56 AM last post previous post

Hello D

I have taken some course from the internet and have a little knowledge of HTML and CSS, no too much.
I only need to know how to use Front Page 2003 to edite my pages. Where can I find those files. How to import those files from my Web Site Hosting Provider. Thank You again

Page 1 of 1
Go to page:

New Topic   New Reply Mark Unread
Jump to:  
Delete   Move     Lock   +Favorits   +Notify   Print