Welcome Visitor, Please Login or Register Now Saturday, April 27, 2024 05:27 AM 
Forums Index > Mewsoft Products > Classifiedawy > Need help with security (I think)
New Topic   New Reply
Search for:
oceanacounty oceanacounty's personal page
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Need help with security (I think) Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
First Post Posted on: 02-06-13 05:07 AM next post first post
I have a virtual dedicated server at godaddy.com. I am using the Simple Control Panel. I have no problems with that part.\ \ I received the classified files, edited the cgi, have perl and know where it is, no problems there.\ \ I uploaded the cgi-bin files in ascii, and the html files in binary. no problems there.\ \ Nothing runs, not admin, not testserver, nothing. Get the 500 error.\ \ I used my ftp program to chmod all the files and folders for full permissions all... no problem.\ \ Still didn't work. After awhile I went back to ftp, went to chmod, and ALL the files and folders were back to the way they were. Changed them again, they change back immediately after logging out of ftp and logging back in.\ \ I tried the online installer, it said all the files uploaded and chmod worked... yet when it was done uploading nothing worked and when I checked (via ftp) the permissions were not set to full access... my server keeps changing the permissions back!\ \ Does anyone know how to alter whatever my Unix server is doing so that it won't change the permissions back every single time?\ \ ps. I have since deleted all the classified files from my server... I will re-upload once I know what I need to do... I plan to only upload the testserver.cgi first, to make sure it works. Also, the site itself is about to undergo a complete remake, so the html that exists now will be replaced within a week or so. wwww.oceanacounty.net
mewsoft mewsoft's personal page
Administrator Team Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile Visit member's website Mewsoft Corporation Send private message ICQ Messenger: ICQ AIM Messenger: AIM YIM Messenger: Yahoo MSN Messenger: MSN

Re: Need help with security (I think) Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 1 Posted on: 02-06-13 06:37 AM next post previous post

The first thing to do since this is your own dedicated server is:

1)-Upload the file testserver.cgi to your server cgi-bin folder in ASCII mode

2)-Chmod this file to 755

3)-Call this from your browser

These are the steps to know you can run cgi files, then you can handle the rest.

Second,

This is said before here many times, but anyway again, Godaddy, yahoo, ipowerweb, cihost and all those big companies hosting with them is notrealy for small business, it is either for personal who will not need applications or for big business who has their administartor and can handle blank servers, now godaddy I am sure your server is raw server, I mean you will need all Perl modules, system libs required for example gdlib, mysql, etc, so you will handle all this yourself.

Mewsoft Support
www.mewsoft.com

Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Tried it again... at both my sites on that server. Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 2 Posted on: 02-06-13 12:44 PM next post previous post
The first thing to do -Upload the file testserver.cgi to your server cgi-bin folder in ASCII mode.. Did that, worked fine.\ \ Chmod this file to 755... Did that, it says it worked.\ \ Call this from your rowser... Tried that, get Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.\ \ I go back and look at the file testserver.cgi, it's no longer 755, it's like it was before I chmod'ed it. \ \ Repeat ad-fininum.\ \ \ I can chmod, but it doesn't stay that way.
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

Tried it again... at both my sites on that server. Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 3 Posted on: 02-06-13 12:54 PM next post previous post
The first thing to do -Upload the file testserver.cgi to your server cgi-bin folder in ASCII mode.. Did that, worked fine.\ \ Chmod this file to 755... Did that, it says it worked.\ \ Call this from your rowser... Tried that, get Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.\ \ I go back and look at the file testserver.cgi, it's no longer 755, it's like it was before I chmod'ed it. \ \ Repeat ad-fininum.\ \ \ I can chmod, but it doesn't stay that way.
Member Offline
View Member's Profile Visit member's website Mewsoft Corporation Send private message ICQ Messenger: ICQ AIM Messenger: AIM YIM Messenger: Yahoo MSN Messenger: MSN

Reply #: 4 Posted on: 02-07-13 02:34 AM next post previous post
Is that Windows or Lunix server? In both cases you can request your hosting support to check the testserver.cgi until they get it working. Check our hosting partners also if you are interested, their servers are ready.

Mewsoft Support
www.mewsoft.com

Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

This is what I have.... Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 5 Posted on: 02-07-13 12:06 PM next post previous post
CentOS 4 \ Operating System Linux CentOS 4 \ OS Kernel Linux kernel 2.6 \ Remote Access Services OpenSSH 3.9 \ Email Services Sendmail 8.13 \ Development Languages/Environments GCC (C, C++, Objc, GCJ) 3.4\ Perl 5.8\ PHP 4.3 \ Database and Directory Services MySQL 4.1 \ DNS Services BIND 9.2 \ Web Servers and Components Apache 2.0\ Mod_ssl 2.0\ Mod_perl 1.99\ Mod_python 3.1 \ \ \ Below are the locations of important Linux binaries:\ \ perl\ /usr/bin/perl\ php\ /usr/bin/php\ sendmail\ /usr/sbin/sendmail\ \ \ Simple Control Panel \ HTTP Document Root /home//public_html/ \ HTTPS Document Root /home//public_html/ \ CGI-BIN /home//public_html/cgi-bin/ \ HTTP Logs /var/log/httpd/ \ \ \ \ \ I have contacted godaddy.com, they want $75 per every 30 minutes to look at my "issue"... they "estimate" it will take 30 minutes. I absolutely hate to give them more money... I should be able to figure this out. I'll keep messing with it, if I come up with any other info I'll post it here. If you can think of something to try, let me know please. (if you would, you don't owe me of course, thanks).
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

This is what I have.... Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 6 Posted on: 02-07-13 12:40 PM next post previous post
CentOS 4 \ Operating System Linux CentOS 4 \ OS Kernel Linux kernel 2.6 \ Remote Access Services OpenSSH 3.9 \ Email Services Sendmail 8.13 \ Development Languages/Environments GCC (C, C++, Objc, GCJ) 3.4\ Perl 5.8\ PHP 4.3 \ Database and Directory Services MySQL 4.1 \ DNS Services BIND 9.2 \ Web Servers and Components Apache 2.0\ Mod_ssl 2.0\ Mod_perl 1.99\ Mod_python 3.1 \ \ \ Below are the locations of important Linux binaries:\ \ perl\ /usr/bin/perl\ php\ /usr/bin/php\ sendmail\ /usr/sbin/sendmail\ \ \ Simple Control Panel \ HTTP Document Root /home//public_html/ \ HTTPS Document Root /home//public_html/ \ CGI-BIN /home//public_html/cgi-bin/ \ HTTP Logs /var/log/httpd/ \ \ \ \ \ I have contacted godaddy.com, they want $75 per every 30 minutes to look at my "issue"... they "estimate" it will take 30 minutes. I absolutely hate to give them more money... I should be able to figure this out. I'll keep messing with it, if I come up with any other info I'll post it here. If you can think of something to try, let me know please. (if you would, you don't owe me of course, thanks).
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

More info Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 7 Posted on: 02-07-13 01:18 PM next post previous post
I went to this site:\ \ http://encodable.com/internal_server_error/\ \ And created a test.cgi file like they said in notepad, saved it, fpt'd it up in ascii, chmod it, then ran it at http://www.oceanacounty.net/cgi-bin/test.cgi\ \ This is the code:\ \ #!/usr/bin/perl\ print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";\ print "testing...\n";\ \ \ The result is:\ \ Forbidden\ You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/test.cgi on this server.\ \ \ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------\ \ Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at www.oceanacounty.net Port 80\ \ \ Result: \ \ Which is also what my logs say about testserver.cgi... I don't have permission. \ \ \ \ I tried everything they said, using 775 not 777, editing it in wordpad instead of notepad, and on and on... I always get the exact same thing.\ \ I think godaddy.com has some default setting involved just so they can soak me for more cash. Not the first time I felt that way... but moving 25 domains/websites is such a pain.
Member Offline

Reply #: 8 Posted on: 02-07-13 11:18 PM next post previous post
This what I said above, simply switch to another good hosting company, never deal with these giants unless you are a giant.

Mewsoft Support
www.mewsoft.com

Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

I switched to gator Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 9 Posted on: 02-08-13 04:11 PM next post previous post
and everything went fine, up until I created the mysql tables... then it asked for my name/password... and when I type it in it just asks for it again... I know it's right. \ \ So this thread is closed, I'll search through the forum to see if anyone has run into a username/password that they set up as not working.
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

I switched to gator Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 10 Posted on: 02-08-13 04:12 PM next post previous post
and everything went fine, up until I created the mysql tables... then it asked for my name/password... and when I type it in it just asks for it again... I know it's right. \ \ So this thread is closed, I'll search through the forum to see if anyone has run into a username/password that they set up as not working.
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile PM

I found out how to fix the user id/ password problem in the FAQ Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 11 Posted on: 02-08-13 04:25 PM last post previous post
that should do it. I think I now know what I needed to do at godaddy... I think I needed a different control panel, the Simple control panel doesn't have the option that the control panel at gator has to change permissions. Too late now, they wouldn't answer my question without charging me a fortune, and gator's tech guy answered my one and only question in less then a half hour.\ \ Thanks Mewsoft. (hopefully no more questions, at least for awhile).
Page 1 of 1
Go to page:

New Topic   New Reply Mark Unread
Jump to:  
Delete   Move     Lock   +Favorits   +Notify   Print