New Topic   New Reply
Search for:
pm12124 pm12124's personal page
Registered Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile Send private message

Test Site Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
First Post Posted on: 01-19-09 05:43 PM next post first post

I just went production with my Auction site, but now that I have done that.  I don't have a good place to make changes so that I can test them before I move them to the Production site.  I tried to copy the auction directory to auction_test and the auctions to auctions_test and then changed the sysconfig.pm file to point to the new directories and paths and then when I went to the admin for the new test site, it was still using the Production sysconfig and if I changed any settings it would change the Production Settings.  Is it not possible to run multiple instances of this software on one webhost account?  I really need to have a test site.  What do other people do for testing?

Thanks,

Philip

mewsoft mewsoft's personal page
Administrator Team Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile Visit member's website Mewsoft Corporation Send private message ICQ Messenger: ICQ AIM Messenger: AIM YIM Messenger: Yahoo MSN Messenger: MSN

Re: Test Site Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 1 Posted on: 01-20-09 02:55 PM next post previous post

You can run any number of copies under the same website each under separate sub directory.

so as you did if you installed one under cgi-bin/auction and copied to another directory cgi-bin/auction_test

you can of course have 2 independent copies working.

You need to edit sysconfig.pm file and change all directories and URLs also to the new location.

You need to change the cgi_url variable and cgi_dir etc in the sysconfig.pm file and also you need to access the new URL http://domain.com/cgi-bin/auction_test/admin.cgi .

Mewsoft Support
www.mewsoft.com

Registered Member
Member Offline

Reply #: 2 Posted on: 01-20-09 09:41 PM next post previous post

That's exactly what I did.  I changed everything in the sysconfig.pm as I stated in my original message.

I go and login to the auction_test/admin and all the links point to the production site.  Doesn't it not work because you are storing those variable values in global variables?  So isn't it reading the global variables already defined for the production site?  What else could I be missing?

Thanks,

Philip

mewsoft mewsoft's personal page
Administrator Team Member
Member Offline
View Member's Profile Visit member's website Mewsoft Corporation Send private message ICQ Messenger: ICQ AIM Messenger: AIM YIM Messenger: Yahoo MSN Messenger: MSN

Reply #: 3 Posted on: 01-21-09 03:16 PM next post previous post
All configuration stored in the file Sysconfig.pm not in SQL. Still no other possibilites, it is the only location for paths and URLs and all admin settings.

Mewsoft Support
www.mewsoft.com

Registered Member
Member Offline

Reply #: 4 Posted on: 01-23-09 05:06 PM next post previous post
I understand that all the settings are stored in sysconfig.pm and as I stated I have changed all those. Aren't you loading those values in global variables? Has anyone put two different versions of the auction software on the same web hosting account?\ \ Thanks,\ Philip
hrsr hrsr's personal page
Registered Member
Member Offline

2nd Site 4 Test Edit Delete Reply with quote Quote
Reply #: 5 Posted on: 01-24-09 12:33 PM next post previous post

Did you set up new sql settings in your host cpanel? We did the same thing on our site at escriptstore.biz when we were playing with it but had to make new settings just as if it were another site or it will run into your main site.

Hope this helps.

George

pm12124's Wrote:
 I understand that all the settings are stored in sysconfig.pm and as I stated I have changed all those. Aren't you loading those values in global variables? Has anyone put two different versions of the auction software on the same web hosting account? Thanks, Philip
Registered Member
Member Offline

Reply #: 6 Posted on: 01-24-09 09:14 PM last post previous post
Yes I created a new SQL database and pointed the new test site to that database.  So you have two auctions working on one web host?
Page 1 of 1
Go to page:

New Topic   New Reply Mark Unread
Jump to:  
Delete   Move     Lock   +Favorits   +Notify   Print